CSC104 SLOG1 Hamna Imran

          I decided to choose CSC104 because I wanted to introduce myself to the world of Computer Sciences. In high school, I saw my friends take the course but I was too scared to find it hard so I always hesitated. Coming into university, I was willing to try out new and challenging things so I decided that an introductory course to Computer Sciences would be a great fit for me since I was always interested in programing. From this course, I hope to get a better understanding of how softwares work and how you can write codes to do all kinds of cool stuff!
         
At the very beginning, I was very sure that programming was going to be very difficult since I was never a science student. I thought I wouldn’t understand what to do and wouldn’t know my way around certain things that everyone else would be familiar with. However as the course is progressing and I’m learning more and more, I feel that this course is very suitable for people like me, who have never done programming before. So, far I’d say that I don’t find programming as hard as I imagined it to be.

CSC104 has taught me a lot of new stuff so far. I personally find it very fascinating that you can write a code and manipulate it however you want to get the desired results. It’s very interesting that you are able to create your own images and even calculate complex math problems.  However, there are certain aspects of programming that I find a bit difficult, like writing your own functions. I feel like I have to think a lot in order to get everything right and for the function to actually work, but as I practise more, I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it. Similarly, the course is definitely easier than I thought it would be, the professor is very thorough while explaining the concepts and so far I understand almost everything.

          I studied for the quizzes by practising the content that was taught in the lectures again and again. I also practised the weekly exercises posted on the course website. I kept practising until I could predict what each code was going to produce. Therefore, I’d say I was able to perform well on my quizzes and am satisfied with the result I got.


          According to me, the content that is being currently taught is very satisfactory and I feel like I’m learning everything that I should be. Although, if there was something else that I’d be interested in would be how the software, DrRacket, actually produces the result that it does.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post. I'm glad to hear that programming is not as scary as it initially seemed. Keep up the good work!

    - Your TA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SLOG 2 Hamna Imran

SLOG 3